Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Be a good example

In the entry yesterday, I mentioned that if we love others we will be able to lead others to Christ. That made me think throughout the day today - and throughout the course of the day, I've been thinking a lot about how to effectively lead others to Jesus. As Christians, we have the responsibility to preach the Word to others and lead them to Jesus (Mark 16:15-16). I think something that we don't always realize is how much we teach people through our actions.
I've had people at work recently pull me aside or have a conversation with me and tell me, "You know, you're different from everybody else here - you don't ever curse or joke about dirty things like everybody else..." That really made me stop and think to myself, "Wow, I didn't realize people were paying that much attention to my actions." It's so true though - people are always watching you. We have to use that as an opportunity to be a good example to them.

Today's lesson is a very simple one - though not the easiest. Be a shining light to others.
Paul tells us in Philippians 2:15 "That you may become blameless and harmless children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation among whom you shine as lights in the world."
This verse tells us that we cannot be like the rest of the world and that we need to stand out and shine as lights so that other people can see the Lord and his goodness. When we act Christ-like to and around others - they will take notice and it will prick their hearts. Be sure to realize that people are always watching and are always influenced by our actions.

1 comment:

  1. Some of lifes greatest spiritual lessons have come from this subject of "being a good example", and you've been able to take just a few lines and reinforce how important it is each day to "keep in check" our attitude and the way we conduct ourselves around others. There's not one normal person "out there" who can honestly say..."I can't be a good example". In a way, it's just a simple ingredient of the Golden Rule. And...as you pointed out, most everyone will notice when you treat others the way you would want to be treated. Shine on Ryan Coe; Well done.

    ReplyDelete