Thursday, February 18, 2010

Remembering to Thank

It's more than likely safe to say that we pray everyday. Some of us may pray more than others. Some of us may pray more at a certain part of day or in certain situations. And sometimes, some of us only pray when we need specific things... The key words there are "only when we need..." Why is it that sometimes we neglect God until there's something we need and then we acknowledge Him? As Christians, we need to focus more on thanking God than asking God.

Now don't get me wrong, God expects us to ask Him for things - He knows we are going to and He knows what we need. However, He also expects (and desires) our thanksgiving.

In Philippians 4:6, Paul tells us, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, WITH THANKSGIVING, let your requests be known to God."

God deserves so much praise for the things He has given us. We are amazingly blessed with so many wonderful and beautiful things. We need to be careful that we don't become greedy or spoiled and that we don't take these things for granted.

Next time you pray, try (it's more difficult than you think) to say a full prayer to God without asking Him for anything. Instead, construct your prayer on thanking Him for the blessings He has given to you. It's something that we should do daily.

1 comment:

  1. Since Travis preached this lesson on Sunday, I've been challenging myself to do this each day... it is difficult, but I'm learning just how much I have to be thankful for! It's a good "exercise", and I think it's making me appreciate the blessings in my life, and more importantly, the life I have because of Christ. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete